Thursday, August 23, 2007

An Inconvenient Truth

Tonight I saw Al Gore's movie, An Inconvenient Truth, for the first time. I was moved. I had absolutly no idea how important polar ice caps were to the planet as a whole. Some people doubt the connection between the increase in CO2 and a rise in temperature. But as someone so wisely brought up tonight, forget the whole global warming issue and focus on the fact there is only a finite amount of coal and natural gas on this planet. We need to conserve energy now so it is available for future generations and even ourselves when we get older. Someone doubted if what they were doing by themselves was effective. Once again I was reminded of a song I've heard named The Power of One from the Evan Almighty soundtrack. It highlighted several people who made a difference by doing something they may have deemed insignificant. What if Rosa Parks had moved to the back of the bus? I encourage everyone to keep doing the things they deem insignificant to help the environment. Someone else may see you buying those compact lightbulbs and think "I should get some of those". Someone may see you using your recycled grocery bag and be moved to reuse their bags and they in turn will inspire someone else to do the same, and on goes the ripple effect and it all started with ONE.

No comments: